Thursday, October 6, 2011

Bang!

This is not at all what I normally write. In fact, it's so far off from what I normally write that I have no idea where it came from. My writing club called it "creepy." I'm curious, what do you think? Is it creepy?


 Bang! The flash from the gun blinded me, or at least, it would have. I shrank back, making myself as small as possible.
“You can't hide from me,” his slurred voice rang out through the pitch black room. “I know you're in here.”
How, I wanted to ask. I almost did, opened my mouth and everything, but stopped myself at the last moment. How had he known where to find me? After all of these years, how did he catch up with me now? And why? Why did he have to reappear in my life when everything was finally going well?
“Come out, come out where ever you are.”
His taunting voice made me flinch. How many times had I heard those words from his lips? As children it had been a part of a game; his favorite game, though I'd never cared for it. Now he'd turned it into something sinister, evil.
Bang! The gun discharged again. A line of fire traced along my arm, nearly making me cry out. I managed to stuff my fist in my mouth before I could. I had to get out of here, had to get away, had to prove that he couldn't beat me. Not this time.
“Come on now Sparrow, you know I wont hurt you.” Bang! He laughed, shooting the gun off again and again.
How did I get myself into this mess? I asked silently as I slowly began to ease toward the door. What had I done to deserve this kind of fate? What signs had I missed, that day fifteen years ago, when I had first been introduced to this monster? Most importantly, how did I get away?
“Not even little birdies can hide forever. I will find you.”
My hand groped along the wall, desperately searching for the door handle. He continued to shoot at random through the room as he taunted me, trying to draw me out. I stopped listening, bent on escape.
An eternity later, my hand finally gazed the door knob. Escape, at long last I could get away, could...
The lights flickered on, revealing his face not two inches from mine. He grinned, his head cocking to one side. “Found you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment