Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ready for Revolt

This is sort of a rewrite of a short story I did ages ago. It was in my head, so I wrote it down again

     The forest has always held a very special place in my heart. It was in the forest that I had my very first memory, the dappled sunlight dancing across my mother's face. It was in the forest that I hid when I first found out I was different. It was in the forest that I learned how to handle my new abilities to control myself. It was in the forest that he found me, in the forest that he had helped me return to humanity.
     It was to the forest that I went now. The first inklings of light had begun to seep through the atmosphere when I slid out of my sleeping bag and into the trees. At first I moved quickly--just to get away from the camp, so I wouldn't wake anyone up--but slowed down once I was far enough away. For a moment I stood still and breathed in the stillness of the morning.
     It amazed me how still the forest could be, no matter the turmoil of the world. Amazed and grateful; peace was exactly what I needed today.
     "Stressed?" a voice asked from behind me.
     I turned to see David standing a few feet away, his hands shoved in his pockets and leaning against a tree. I smiled just at the sight of him, this man who had saved my life more times than I could count. "Did I wake you?"
     He shrugged, his posture completely casual. "I was awake, worrying about today. I saw you get up and followed. How are you holding up?"
     My eyes strayed to the leaves above us. "Today an entire civilization goes to war because of me, how do you think I'm holding up."
    David's face was entirely too serious. "They're not going to war for you Elaine, they go to war for the hope of a better life. You just happen to be the symbol of that hope they've been looking for."
     "Yeah, I know. Still." A small laugh managed to escape my lips.
     Straightening, David came forward and wrapped his arms around me. I leaned into the safety of his embrace. Once again he was saving me, taking the stress upon his shoulders. It amused me that he was always coming to my rescue. I was, after all, supposed to be the hero.
     "Elaine," David said after a long silence.
     "Yes?"
     "Don't forget to come back."
     I shifted until I could lean up and kiss his cheek. "I never do."

Now, just for comparison sake, here's the original draft of this that I wrote, which is, once again, from ages ago. I'm pretty sure I was a sophomore when I wrote it.

     I stood alone in the forest, leaning against a tree. I stared up at the thick green leaves above me and thought about what was about to come. I was going to lead forty thousand people in a revolt against a government that thought too well of itself. What was I thinking to agree to this?
     A noise from behind startled me. I launched off of the tree and turned, ready to attack. When I saw who it was though, I relaxed and went back to leaning against the thick trunk, staring up. “What are you doing here?”
    Ashton laughed quietly. I could almost feel his smile, though I wasn't looking at him. Once again I thought that I knew him too well. “What else would I be doing here?” he asked quietly. “I'm looking for you.”
     I rolled my eyes. “I told you not to when I left.”
     I felt his smile fade, almost like the air around me was suddenly sadder. “It's almost time.”
     I looked at him, frowning as well. “Ashton, I don't think I'm ready.”
     He walked over and placed his hands gently on my shoulders. “You have to be ready. The fate of all of our lives is on your shoulders.”
     I rolled my eyes again. “You're being over dramatic. Again.”
     He flashed his lop-sided grin that always made my heart flip-flop around in my chest. His eyes were deep green with gold flecks sprinkled through them. When he was angry, those flecks sparkled and flashed like lightning. Now, they looked dull and sad. I had known Ashton since we were three. We had always been friends, though we had gone through phases through the years when we were too cool for one another. However, we had always been there to support one another. In fact, it had been Ashton who had helped me through everything that had happened over the last few months. He had been my greatest support.
     Now his eyes were serious and sad. “I'm not being all that over dramatic. We need you.”
     I dropped my eyes to look at the dirt under my feet. “I know. That's why I'm so frightened.”
     Ashton pulled me into a tight hug. “You're not alone, Cassie. You've got all of us. You'll be great.”
   I thought of all of the people back in the little cabin thirty-two feet away from where I stood. Twenty people, people that I had known throughout my life. I thought of every person in any of the two thousand cabins we were using. Each cabin was five miles away from those closest to it. Some of them I knew, most of them I didn't. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Each willing to give up their lives to take back what was rightfully ours. Each waiting for the exact moment in time when we would finally fight back.
    And me: their leader. The majority of the people didn't even know who I was, but they were ready to believe what they had heard about me and help me do what I had to. Seven months ago, I was just another normal girl, living in a world that left a lot to be desired. Now, I was anything but normal. I was their leader, and we were going to make our world a better place.
     Ashton was my main adviser. Though almost no one knew it, he was their real leader. They looked to me to help them fight this war, but I looked to him to tell me what to do. It was Ashton who had chosen the leaders of each cabin, the people that would lead nineteen other people into war. It was Ashton who came up with the plan, and Ashton who figured out how we could pull it off. It was Ashton who had helped me through all of the changes my body went through and helped me to master my new talents in the least amount of time possible.
     “We'll pull through this,” he said now. “We have to.” He held me close to him, stroking my hair and rocking me gently back and forth, trying to comfort me.
     I nodded, wrapping my arms around his neck. I was thankful for this moment alone in the woods, when I didn't have to pretend to be the fearless leader everyone else needed to see. To be able to admit that I was weak and afraid, if only to one person.
    We stood like that for a long time, just holding each other. I'm ashamed to admit that I was crying, but in my own defense, it was a very stressful moment. Finally, I pulled away, wiping the tears from my cheeks. “It's nearly time.”
     Ashton looked at his watch and nodded. “Yes it is. Are you ready?”
     I bent my knees slightly, flexing the muscles in my legs. “I think so.”
    “Good.” He ran his fingers through his hair, pulling it out of his face. “Look Cassie, before you go, there's something I need to tell you.”
     I grabbed my left ankle with my right hand, stretching my leg out. I raised one eyebrow, but didn't speak.
    “You know I don't like thinking about this, but there's going to be a lot of fighting today. There is a chance that one of us will not come back.”
    I nodded, watching him intently while I grabbed my right ankle with my left hand.
    “So, with that possibility in mind, I would just like to tell you...” He paused, then tried again, “that um...” he paused again, “I...well.” He frowned, looking down at his feet.
    I smiled, realizing that he was nervous. I placed both feet on the ground, then took a step toward him. I placed a finger under his chin and pulled his face up to look at me. Laughing quietly, I said, “I love you too. I think I always have.” His eyes widened with shocked delight. Without giving him a chance to reply, I stepped even closer and pressed my lips to his. His arms circled my waist, pulling me closer to him.
     A moment later, an internal alarm went off in my head. I sighed and pulled away. “It's time.”
    He nodded, his eyes sad. He dropped his arms. “Make sure you come back in one piece. I don't want to loose you now.”
    I kissed him gently one more time. “You too. I love you.” I dropped into a crouch. Using all of the power in my legs, I launched myself into the air at a speed that made me dizzy. I rushed toward the tree branches, which parted before I reached them. I flew higher and higher, gaining miles quickly. When I reached the appropriate height, I slowed to a stop, floating thousands of miles above the earth. Mentally reaching within myself. I grabbed the supply of light I had been storing up every moment I had been in the sun for the last few weeks and pulled it out to encircle me. The result was a blinding light that could be seen from several thousands of miles in any direction. It was a signal to the forty thousand people waiting for it. A signal for the attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment